Sunday, June 20, 2010

Virtual Question

from: Maxime Coulombe, Le monde sans fin des jeux vidéo, Presses universitaires de France 2010.

It is on the ruins of the presence of the other that symbolization is made possible. It is its simplified form, closed-in: the other without the venom of alterity. In World of Warcraft, the esthesic complexity of a relation with the other finds itself reduced to a simple dialogue with keyboard interposed. It is this simplification which opens unto a new complexity where, in the manner of a Rorschach non-form, the subject can glimpse the state of his desires.

One finds here, for instance, this projection in the frequent questions of a sexual nature posed to female avatars: «Are you a real girl?». In other words: «Am I correct in assuming a sexual corespondence between you, behind the keyboard, and your avatar?». A preliminary question to a free play of fantasm on the representd avatar.This is perhaps not so surprising. Neither, in fact, is the answer «yes». For this «yes», in some sense, gives permission to daydreaming and courtisan fantasy - fairee world style. One thus sees warriors court fragile newcomers -, sexual stereotypes carry on, even on-line -, while others on the contrary are fascinated by avatars of the opposite sex having attained the higher levels of experience and splendid with power and possessions. Let us reflect again on the story of the two adventurers helping each other, going on a quest together, finding affinities, developng a relationship on the field of battle.

For if I want to fantasize my interest for the other player, I can also imagine his interest for me. ...And I could make of this interest a means for immediate recognition. Imagining the other grandiose, I will find a victory for myself in duel with him, or find his compliment, or his gesture of generosity on my behalf, even more value-giving. Here is why Serge Tisseron could well remark «I put up with separation at the price of representing not only the absent one, but an absent one who thinks of me as much as I think of him. Without this second representation, the first is but sheer torture»(1). If the avatar is well an indication of the presence of the other, its technological thickness allows me to imagine his eye on me.

On can thus see this coming, the misknowing of the identity of the other, the limits to the possibility of communication with him are not a negative aspect or a lacuna of a virtual relationship. They are the foundation to its specificity, its interest for many adepts of virtual worlds. The distant relationship with the other is not a second-best, but possesses a value in itself.

(1) Serge Tisseron, Virtuel mon amour, Albin Michel 2008.

No comments: