Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Washington Post



The recent acquisition of the Washington Post by Jeff Bezoz, founder of
Amazon, has set up a very interesting series of accounts of how and why he
would ever do such a thing. Short answer, no one has a clue. The commentary
is coming from the ranks of the press, and offers an unattractive glimpse at just how
depressed and paranoid press folk are these days. 

The New Yorker takes it from the Warren Buffett angle; if Mr. B didn’t take it, well
it’s a dud. At that price, anyway (250 mil, with a cap on pensions). The
assumption being that those money people will pick up anything, anytime there is a sweet 
dollar to be made.

I have never actually held a W Post in my hand but I have consulted the Web site on a few 
occasions. Those few times were, in point of fact, totally crucial; like wanting to know if the U.S. 
was at war and the like. And every time the Post told me what I wanted
to know, and that before anyone else on the Web. Those Post people are there, contacting 
the right people, drinking at the right bars. They cover the seat of government better than 
anyone else. Am I the only one - other than Jeff B. - to
appreciate this fact. I don’t read them more often because I can’t take the strain of
knowing all that, everyday; I have a life, work on computing problems. They just better
be there when I need them.

The European press has been telling me all kinds of things about Jeff B I didn’t know.
He is wonderfully creative and his acquisition heralds one generation of media presence
scavenging a former one. Certainly so from the point of view of jobs and employment
conditions, at which Le Monde hints darkly. Will he find a way to make money here? My 
guess, oh yes. Because the Web changes the matrix of culture and localization, but there still is one
For example, I consult the Web site of the Los Angeles Times almost everyday even though 
I live at the other side of the continent, in a French-speaking community. I don’t have a 
subscription: I’m not going to eat lunch there. I used to enjoy their food and restaurant section 
very much, in a literary sort of a way. I still peruse what their foodies are worried about. And 
they are a wonderful font of good taste on ‘industry’ matters. Is Lindsay Lohan over the edge or 
just marketing her leggings brand. The L.A. Times knows.

The Nouvel Obs thinks Jeff B bought the paper like one buys a vintage car, as a little
reward to oneself. He also went looking for a moon mission rocket at the bottom of the ocean, 
a true collector of the tech age. But unlike Gates and others, he is a profoundly anti-charity 
kind of person, keeping employment high in the Seattle region. Here I know something 
about Seattle that the Parisian crew from the Obs doesn’t know. Seattle
is the home not only of Microsoft and Starbucks, it is also where the major gaming
companies have their headquarters, where the coders and graphic artists put in their
hours. How interesting is that. The Obs muses that Bezos wants better access to
government; I’m not so sure that’s how it works...

No comments: