Saturday, March 8, 2014

Lolita

Nabokov's Lolita (1955) surely finds itself on the list of the greatest books ever written of

anyone who has actually taken the pains to read it. A great deal has also been written

about it; in my view not enough. What did the critics and scholars miss? It is hilarious -

'Does Common Sense Make Sense?' - and it is religious, a long meditation on the human

experience as lived by women. Happy Women's Day!






                                                        ... That photograph

was taken on the last day of our fatal summer and just a few minutes before

we made our second and final attempt to thwart fate. Under the flimsiest of

pretexts (this was our very last chance, and nothing really mattered) we

escaped from the cafe to the beach, and found a desolate stretch of sand,

and there, in the violet shadow of some red rocks forming a kind of cave,

had a brief session of avid caresses, with somebody's lost pair of

sunglasses for only witness. I was on my knees, and on the point of

possessing my darling, when two bearded bathers, the old man of the sea and his
 
brother, came out of the sea with exclamations of ribald encouragement, and four
 
months later she died of typhus in Corfu.

 

4

 

I leaf again and again through these miserable memories, and keep

asking myself, was it then, in the glitter of that remote summer, that the

rift in my life began; or was my excessive desire for that child only the

first evidence of an inherent singularity? When I try to analyze my own

cravings, motives, actions and so forth, I surrender to a sort of

retrospective imagination which feeds the analytic faculty with boundless

alternatives and which causes each visualized route to fork and re-fork

without end in the maddeningly complex prospect of my past. I am convinced,
 
however, that in a certain magic and fateful way Lolita began with Annabel.

No comments: