Monday, August 1, 2016

Inter


Word of the day: intersectionnality. Coined by a feminist, it
refers to the experience of being at the intersection of two or more
categories of isms; like a Black woman might find herself
a victim of discrimination for being both female, and black
at the same time.

As the article below attests, being constantly body-shamed is
delibetating. You are fat, ugly, old, your clothing is
cheap and no longer fresh, you are poor (big one, often overlooked),
you speak the wrong language, live in the wrong part of town,
take public transit, go to MacDonalds, disfigure public spaces
with your presence and so on. Everyday, one of these stones is going
to hit. Everyday.

But I diverge; indeed re-reading myself, I find that I am
turning into an angry white person, a veritable Trump supporter.
Will never forget the day a Muslim woman spit in my face on the
escalator in a shopping mall. She called me a whore (she was wearing
full Muslim dress, I was in shorts). Was never so surprised in my life!!

That is where reading about the intent of this new concept becomes important:
I was not the injured party in this encounter, although on the face of it I was.
In the free world I want for all, she is that unfortunate Muslim woman,
in inappropriate clothes and of too narrow ideas.

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/lifestyle/style/why-i-want-you-to-notice-that-im-fat/ar-BBuvAJ2

http://geekfeminism.wikia.com/wiki/Intersectionality


No comments: