Sunday, July 17, 2022

Amortization

 Been trying to make clear - in my own mind - how paymentamounts for 

amortized loans are calculated. Found the formula on the web:


'Total payment' here is the amount the borrower pays back at each agreed upon

due date.


Let's look at the simplest case possible. I borrow 100$ at 10% for two years.

What is the repayment amount I will be making (there will be tow).

Plugging my numbers in the formula, I end up making two payments of

57.62$. On the first payment, 10$ is going to yearly interest. So I have reduced

the principal I owe by 47.62. which means i enter year two owing 52.38$. That

too is going to cost me 10% over the year. So my second payment covers the 52.38$

plus 5.24$ interest. There it is: 57.62$.


It's actually a lovely formula; (1+i)^n/((1+i)^n)-1... multiplied by ...(i x loaned amount)

makes for a payments amount that is a multiple of interest units.


(Someone with a mortgage may have a slightly higher payment than the formula would

dictate. This would be due to an insurance premium being included.)


And indeed, this is not the only possible repayment model.

Amortization Calculation Formula and Payment Calculator (vertex42.com)

https://www.capital.fr/votre-argent/amortissement-dun-pret-definition-calcul-et-types-1430663#:~:text=L'amortissement%20d'un%20pr%C3%AAt%20correspond%20%C3%A0%20la%20dur%C3%A9e%20n%C3%A9cessaire,agit%20d'un%20pr%C3%AAt%20immobilier.



No comments: