Monday, October 22, 2018

Drinking


Not surprisingly, scientific studies on alcoholism and gut
health show that those who consume a  great deal of alcohol
end up with non-healthy gut microbiomes. I say not surprisingly because
those studies are starting out with the desire to nail alcohol consumption
as an unhealthy practice, and they find the evidence to further their cause.
But what about a more general question. Is consuming alcohol always  a bad
idea, or can it be helpful in certain circumstances. So what is my starting
point here? Merely this, that alcohol is a fermented drink and fermented foods
are currently the cat's meow in the emerging field of concern about
the gut biome. So can consuming alcohol be a good thing. I actually think I might
have accidentally aided myself in doing just that.

The elderly do have time on their hands to worry about strange stuff. Ever since
I took antibiotics last summer to deal with a bug bite, I have been loosing a little
weight every day and feeling gut empty. As in with a totally flat stomach. Just
couldn't seem to be ble to stop this. Tried yogurt and cookies, but just felt bad,
I assume, from the sugar.  Then I had a glass of red wine the other night, something
I hadn't done in years. Made me very light-headed and pretty nauseous, but by the
next day, my gut felt a lot better. A few days in, and I am back to normal. So the
question I asked myself is: is an alcoholic drink a fermented food,
for gut health purposes. It is not clear to me that it can't be, because a fermented food
is one where all the available sugar has been used up by the fermentation process.

Nor does this contradict the finding of leaky gut syndrome in alcoholics. So a lot of
alcohol changes the proportions of different kinds of micro-organisms in our
digestive system. Fine.

An interesting issue to follow!









http://fermentacap.com/alcohol-in-your-lacto-fermented-foods/

http://www.morethanorganic.com/fermentation

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/drinking-causes-gut-microbe-imbalance-linked-to-liver-disease/

                                               *     *     *


L'acide lactique est un acide organique qui joue un rôle dans divers processus biochimiques. Un lactate est un sel de cet acide (ou autrement dit la forme ionisée de l'acide lactique)

No comments: