Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Diet On !

I have come to accept that my weight will fluctuate over a year; I spend the winter largely indoors, even if I try to go for a walk every day. Summers, I go for long walks and bike. In effect, 48 k is my jeans weight, the weight I aim for in the Spring when I know the good times are coming. I would like to try to not go over this point this winter, and I am happy to have found this very powerful diet.

What I like about the diet is that it mixes things up. And one has the choice to sticking to the diet as presented, or in a bold moment, making a substitution (Rather than nothing but 1/2 can of tuna last night, I had 1/3 can and a bit of left-over avocado with lemon. Delicious!) I am a veteran of many miracle diets and what was difficult about those boiled egg and grapefruit wonders of my youth was the boredom. One just reaches a point where 'You can keep that darn boiled egg for lunch, I'm a real person'. Things do get better with time.

On reflection, the improvement over those unitary diets might just be that there is now more information about nutrition readily available. Counting calories for weight loss was the bright idea of a female doctor with weight issues in the early 20th century, Lulu Hunt Peters. She was wrong, but she was so right. It was no longer a question of meeting calorie requirements during war, or in an industrial setting, but counting calories for appearance (and well-being). She would be, incidentally, my candidate for the US ten dollar note.

As someone now more literate on nutritional matters, I can make a judgment call that my water-packed tuna is perhaps lower in healthy oils than the diet called for, and add a bit of avocado. Voilà, power dieting.




 http://www.chemheritage.org/discover/media/magazine/articles/29-1-counting-calories.aspx?page=1

No comments: