Friday, October 2, 2015

Potato(5)


Today was the first day when I needed to heat the apartment. Rather than feel despondent, I decided to treat myself: jacked up the heat everywhere to a marvellous 22° C, and made a more elaborate meal.

For the potato angle, I decided on jacket potatoes. Indeed. I looked up for a recipe. To my total surprise, I have been making baked potatoes wrong for my entire life. Baking a spud in foil produces a boiled potato, with the moisture staying within the foil envelope. A true baked potato is fork pricked and rolled in oil As for how long and at what degree, the heat level will determine the cooking time and the crispness of the skin. I went for 400° F, and a crisp outside; all was done in 45 minutes.

I served my spud with bits of Brie cheese, and made breaded zucchini (and broccoli) with a salad.(The secret to enjoying breaded veggies is eating them with lemon juice).





I had also not eaten a proper baked potato of my own making: this was delicious. And the pan-cooked breaded veggies were still very tasty. I wouldn't submit my arteries to this everyday, but once in a while... I still have another meal of these veggies: the remaining baked potato will get hash browned!!

No comments: