Thursday, February 20, 2020

TwoCents

I am left peronnally reeling from yesterday's massive pile-up
on a snowed-out piece of highway : 200 vehicles involved, on over
a kilometer. It is a stretch of road I have often travelled on, taking the local
bus to Montreal. Indeed the alternative route - much quicker - involving
a non-stop trip on superhighways is also subject to whiteouts. All in all,
there is danger to and from Montreal in winter.

What is a whiteout? Blowing winds during a snowstorm or even after when the
snow is still light can cause temporary blindness to the driver. Open fields ie without
snow fences or...er, trees are to blame. And the higher winds that come with
climate change, clearly. So I might pospone Supershopping till March when the snow
disappears.

It wasn't the only incident: there was a multi-car crash in Marieville, out in the country
as well.

I don't drive, and won't be making recommendations on things better left to experts;
but I do think that blowing snow might not be the only culprit. I have noticed severe climate
events that I would call immediate state changes. Like riding to Montreal in said bus
a few summers back and suddenly the bus is under a bathroom shower-like stream
of rain. Bang; without warning. A cloud had formed and burst at road level, and I was in it.

There was a severe snow storm yesterday morning here in St-Jean; indeed I had considered
taking a photo to illustrate what a severe storm is. But I could still see the building across the
way. And by noon, when the incident happened furter North, it was sunny in Saint-Jean.

This takes me to a second observation. We were told to expect snow from a passing cold front
from the North East; but the South, where I am, got the storm first. Which makes me suspect
a state change from humidity drifting North from the US, no doubt coupled with pollution
closer to Montreal which would furnish dust on which snowflakes could form.

My two-cents' worth!



No comments: