Monday, February 18, 2019

Entries

I know that Apple is working on this, from a French
app. : the capacity to estimate the calorie content of
a meal from a scan. There is no magic involved; one teaches
the computer to recognize a 'banana' and link it to 100
calories. Computer might store small banana(.67 medium),
medium banana(100 calories) and one-half large banana(1.25 medium)
and do the math. There are a lot of possibilities, and I am assuming
a lot of the development work will deal with this. Like My Fitness
Pal; do the work of entering the data once, then it is there
to use.

The current app - like MFP - lets one photogragh a personalized
meal, and the computer will recognize it within certain parameters.
Below, from yesterday's breakfast, one of my favorite things to
eat, a mixture of cottage cheese, yogurt and pineapple. I could enter
this as,  WhiteSlurrPin 130 calories, but it is probably NAGI(not a good idea)
because one day when I've had a drink and want to go for dinner I
might no longer remember what WhiteSlurrPin is or if I actually ate that
calories' worth of it. So it pays to keep the logic clean. Yogurt comes in
0, 2, 4, 6, 10% fat varieties, cottage cheese in 0, 2, 4%, and I will use
different proportions of each, grapes and/or berries and so forth. The Egg-O
waffle I had with it was buttermilk at a dependable 90 calories, although the
chocolate ones are higher. I am working with a 200 calorie daily slush with
my current MFP entries. For those of us on 1200 calories on a sedentary day,
that is a lot.



The new Canada Food guide takes a relaxed approach to portion size and
emphasizes variety, so for an elderly person it might be simply recognizing
that I have had fruit and salad greens in the day ie checking some boxes.
Or if I want to loose,  that I have had no more than one cookie. And I can eyeball that
for myself by simply taking pictures!

                                                       *     *     *



                                         *     *     *

One teaspoon of peanut butter is actually quite a bit. Below, as a dome
versus spread out. All three taken together yield one tablespoon, worth
90 calories.













No comments: