Tuesday, June 19, 2018

New Technology File System

I had a bit of a traumatic woment with my Surface Pro 2 last week; I say
traumatic because, when a computer stops working, things can look bleak
pretty fast.

This is not uncommon, but after the latest Windows 10 upgrade (which I
wasn’t expecting), the computer wouldn’t start but would merely go on a 
loop of ‘restoring to a previous version of Windows’ black page with a spin
icon. 

I read as much about this as possible, and finally admitted to myself that I would 
be loosing all my files. I made an image of Windows 10 on a USB3 key,
but even that wouldn’t do the trick. ( NB It has to be in the same language as
the system one is currently running). 

Ended up going to the shop, in a state of nervous exhaustion. 

The people at Best Buy were aces, and had a new version of Windows 10
uploading in no time, from their USB3 key. The problem, in retrospect, was this:
I had formatted my key as exFat, but what was needed was NTFS, New Technology
File System. Not really my fault because all I had to work from was a Mac, which has
no option for NTFS. But still an expensive lesson.

So my computer is back home, factory clean, and ready to take me to Disney Games.
I’m actually hesitating about enabling it back on Internet. The very least I should
do is format my USB3 key to NFTS, in case disaster should strike again...
Although, in point of fact, the kind of inability to see through an update that
I experienced only happens if one has less than 10 G of free memory. Otherwise, all is fine.
(I had app 10, obviously not enough for this update).

                                               *     *     *


On a Mac, there is a utility to partition your hard drive to include Windows (Boot Camp). 
There is also a disk utility.


                                                      *     *     *

No comments: