Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Salad

Overnight tariffs work through the economy in insidious ways.
The small can of crushed pineapple I could usually pick up for 1$
now costs 2$; I am assuming because cans are now more expensive
to produce in North America. So I picked up a larger can imported from
Thailand at 1.69$. Statistically, nothing has changed in my food
basket, but the taste is different.

I have also stopped buying fresh strawberries in favour of frozen. Here,
I am actually winning on taste because the strawberries are smaller,
if a bit mushy as they thaw. A change in texture, then.

Overall,  prices are wild at this time of year,and lettuce skips to 4$ only to
come down to 2$ the week after in some chain's Specials offerings. Compound
that with the difficulties of getting produce home in good shape when the
temperatures go below -10°C, and salad's a job!👵

No comments: