Thursday, November 5, 2020

Wolfy

 Like so many others, been holding my breath

on the American election. And no, I will not 'meddle',

as instructed by Canada's Premier Trudeau. But I do have some

thoughts about the Trump presidency. In fact, not so much about

Trumpism - what ever that means - but about the changing

context of politics and particularly political discourse.


We are all, increasingly, global citizens.Heck, I spend half my days

on European media, recipe blogs from Australia, games form Israel...

Foreign relations are delicate as never before because the government of

the day is addressing both the people and other nations at the same time.

The US quitting the Paris agreement was a very powerful move. China has since

made a commitment in, pursuant to its policy of muscle-ing out the US.

Well played!


Meanwhile, back at home however, many are obviously mortified that the US

would do such a thing. "The whole world is watching",  was a prominent chant

of anti-Vietnam protest, and it referred to American actions but also the reflection

this brought on the US as a nation. Greenpeace, after all,  is a play using media.

American prestige is something american media fight hard to protect.


A lot can be said about this twitter presidency, and I am not on that particuar feed,

But I have appreciated the openess with which the Trump era operated.

And just a tiny little meddle: why was Barack Obama allowed to campaign

for the Biden camp, like democracy itself was under siege. Crying wolf, if you

ask me!!


No comments: