Monday, October 17, 2022

Butties


                    
source: La Presse


A bit of positive news, this morning, for the inflation-weary. Loblaws is

freezing prices on its store-brand products to the end of January 2023. That 

is good news, not just for the money saved but also for  peace of mind. Who 

remembers exactly wha this or that used to cost, or knows what it should: it's 

mental gymnastics on the shop floor, and we all need a rest from it.


I did visit a Maxi last week: they are a half-hour walk away for me, a nice

riverside walk. I had gone for frozen veg, 2$ for 750 grams, and I get one of

each peas and corn when I go. I had mis-timed my visit because Thursday

is when the weekly specials change, and the store was packed with people

filling up on paper products and the like. And the shelves were empty of both

small packs of veggies. I ended up buying one two kilo bag of peas at the

expected price, some cashew nuts at 4.50$, a treat and very expensive elsewhere,

and a can of tomato sauce beans (around 1.25$ ?).


I never 'stock-up'. I remember reading in a women's magazine that all that does

is tie up one's spendable money in inventory, and who wants to do that. So I

buy in a normal way at all times, and use specials to indulge in things that

have become out-of-reach, every so often.


Am I a down-and-out bean eater. I actually started eating tomato sauce beans

a few years back, wanted to try beans on toast which I had read was a British

thing to do; like chip butties (French Fry sandwiches). No that bad! I finally

got the inside story on that, from someone explaining the whole thing on Quora.

After world Wat II, with a good part of London bombed out, canned foods were

the only thing available. That and bread. So beans on toast were filling and okay,

and butties culture was born.








 

No comments: