Monday, September 28, 2015

Potato a Day

It's an overcast day, and rain is coming later today or perhaps tomorrow. I went food shopping early, and came back with ten pounds of potatoes (1.88$).  I walked the 1.2 kilometers from the store with the bag, and told myself this was the strain gaining ten pounds would put on my heart. It was considerable. Anyway, it's harvest time, and potatoes are a local product.

Ten pounds of potatoes - 4.54 kgs - with a medium potato at 150 grams, makes for 30 potatoes. I counted 32 from my bag. That's a month of potatoes. This might be a food challenge of sorts. finding 30 different ways of eating potatoes. I'll post the highlights!!

The bag:







My breakfast: (I had pancakes last night and stayed up to watch the blood moon. It was spectacular. What impressed me the most was that one could see it changing; giving one an experiential sense of living in a celestial machine. )





Salad for breakfast is something eaten in the Middle East, although the potatoes is a local twist.

While I was waiting for the show, looked up the contentious how much protein does one need. The answer is .38 grams per kilogram of weight. For safety purposes, that is doubled, so that it becomes grosso modo .38 grams per pound of weight. Below is a US government site that helps with the math. One overlooked aspect is that they say the daily figures they recommend apply on average. So that pancakes for dinner is acceptable, unless perhaps one is in training or being followed medically.

http://fnic.nal.usda.gov/fnic/interactiveDRI/index.php



No comments: