Thursday, May 20, 2021

FRIENDS

 Fans of the FRIENDS television seiries are getting their

long-awaited treat May 27, 2021: a reunion episode. I do not count

myself among them; although I have seen a number of episodes

to see what all the fuss was about. It just wasn't that relevant

to me from a demographic point of view. 


Recent criticism that the coming episode was going to be 'lacking

in diversity' ie, with no Black people involved, did make me realize

something about the show. It's unspoken subtext - and maybe one

needs to be in Canada to see it - is that New York is a Jewish city.

That's right; FRIENDS was never a whity_white show at all, it is about

friends across cultural-religious lines.


In an effort to balance things out, allow me to share a hilarious bit

of entertainment that is thoroughly Black and LGBTQ-safe to boot.

Trending on YouTube yesterday, for those who erase their history

regularly. Be forwarned, it is caustic and (might even offend my millenial-garbed

daughter). Whatever; enjoy!



No comments: